What should a primary care doctor recommend for patients with heel pain?

Many patients in Worcester, Massachusetts come to us after seeing their primary care.  All of them that I speak to, the primary care says, when the patient comes in with help pain, take an anti-inflammatory and do some stretching and get some new shoes. Those are the top three things that they recommend after they have heel pain. In my opinion, for a primary care, it may be beneficial to add to those three things to start using a foam roller or do deep tissue massage or Graston technique to the back of the calf, either by yourself or with physical therapy, or with some tools called the trigger point tools.  I would also recommend icing with a bottle of water, putting it in the freezer, a nice stable shoe and maybe an over-the-counter insert that will give you some extra cushion in the arch, but if it doesn't get better within two or three weeks, I would have them follow-up with a podiatrist so you can get a cortisone injection, unless they are wanting to do a cortisone on their own.  In my opinion, those things working together can make people with heel pain get better the quickest.

To Your Health,
Dr. Donald Pelto